Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Games & My Attempt At Athleticism

So let's preface this post with a little background on me as an athlete:

When I was really young (we'll say 4ish) I wanted to be in a dance class like all of my other girl friends...unfortunately I resembled a frog rather than a ballerina.
Game over. A little older (8ish) I wanted to be a cheerleader...I have no rhythm, am not flexible, & couldn't do a cartwheel (I was also not your usual peppy cheer type). Fail. My freshman year of high school, I decided I wanted to play soccer. It looked cool--just run around & kick the ball. Being overweight, uncoordinated, and unathletic led me to a season of shin splints & bench warming. Done. So there is my athletic past.

Fast forward 13 years and you will find a more physically fit, outgoing, intramural wannabe athlete. If I ever had an athletic year, it would be this one. This is the year I started running & the year I decided that even if I'm awful--it's a lot more fun to play sports with your friends than it is to sit on the sidelines--even if it means being hit in the head with a volleyball (twice). :) I've had so much fun playing intramural sports at work!

So now for the story. Right now, my work group is participating in the Chesapeake Summer Games. You get a team together & play multiple sports against other work teams. Two weeks ago was soccer (top scorer right here) & this week is ultimate frisbee. Previous to this week, I played two games--by play I mean I ran around praying no one threw a frisbee at me. Here's a snipit from today:

I'm running down the field, watching the frisbee. I'm open...throw it to me. [Please Jes, catch the Frisbee] I'm watching the team make plays, I'm still open--no one's blocking me. I've got this, throw it to me! My teammate throws it to me & I catch it!! I'm so excited--running as fast as I can with the frisbee. No one's going to catch me! I notice a guy out of the corner of my eye--he's trying to get me. And then I hear "You can't run! Stop running!". He keeps repeating it, am I doing something wrong?? My teammates yell "Jes, stop running!"I stop & throw the frisbee--I'm a little in shock, what did I do wrong? I throw it right at the guy that was yelling at me hitting him square in the neck.  Ooops-guess he shouldn't have yelled at me. 

Moral of the story: Once you catch the frisbee, you have to stop & throw it before you start running again. Who knew! This is my first week actually trying to play rather than just running away from the frisbee. Better luck next game!!


No comments:

Post a Comment